|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Patrick Kenney, 252-728-2250, ext. 3014
Harkers Island, NC –Cape Lookout National Seashore has completed assessments and the safety concerns have been mitigated. Although the park suffered damages, overall the park fared well. "We appreciate everyone's cooperation, understanding and concern for the park," stated Superintendent Patrick Kenney. "The park is back open to the public and hopefully everyone will enjoy Cape Lookout National Seashore."
Harkers Island & Beaufort
- The Harkers Island Visitor Center and park headquarters are open on a normal schedule.
- The Beaufort Visitor Information Center is operating on a normal schedule.
- Island Express Ferry Service has resumed service. Visitors should contact the ferry service directly for reservations at 252-728-7433.
- Island is open for visitors.
South Core Banks
- The Light Station Visitor Center and the Keepers' Quarters Museum are open on a normal schedule.
- Vehicle ferries from Davis serving Great Island have returned to service. Visitors should contact the ferries directly for reservations:
- Cape Lookout Cabins and Camps - at 252-729-9751
- Davis Shore Ferry Service - at 252-729-3474
- Great Island Cabins are open. Reservation can be obtained through Recreation.gov
North Core Banks
- The ferry service at Morris Marina in Atlantic serving Long Point has return to service. Visitors should contact the ferry service directly for reservations at 252-225-4261.
- Long Point Cabins are open. Reservation can be obtained through Recreation.gov.
- The beach from Mile Marker 4 north to Ocracoke Inlet reopened today.
- The Portsmouth Village reopened today. Portsmouth historic structures are closed for cleaning and repairs and will remain closed until further notice. Due to the high tide, rubber boots are highly recommended for visiting the village.
Visitors should be aware the park is experiencing high surf and high tides and people traveling the beach must proceed with caution. Also, visitors coming to the park should be sure to check the status of roads, since many areas inland from the park are experiencing record high flooding.