|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Patrick Kenney, 252-728-2250, ext. 3014
Harkers Island, NC– Cape Lookout National Seashore is continuing to conducted assessments of the park and making repairs following Hurricane Matthew. On October 11, 2016 portions of the park were reopened. The following provides an update:
Harkers Island & Beaufort
- The Harkers Island Visitor Center and park headquarters are open on a normal schedule.
- The Beaufort Visitor Information Center is operating on a normal schedule.
- Island Express Ferry Service will resume operations on Wednesday (10/12/16). Visitors should contact the ferry service directly for reservations at 252-728-7433.
- Island is open for visitors.
South Core Banks
- The Light Station Visitor Center and the Keepers’ Quarters Museum are open on a normal schedule.
- Vehicle ferries from Davis serving Great Island have returned to service. Visitors should contact the ferries directly for reservations:
- Cape Lookout Cabins and Camps - at 252-729-9751
- Davis Shore Ferry Service - at 252-729-3474
- Great Island Cabins will reopen on Wednesday (10/12/16). Check-in is at 1:00 p.m.
North Core Banks
- The ferry service at Morris Marina in Atlantic serving Long Point has return to service. Visitors should contact the ferry service directly for reservations at 252-225-4261.
- Long Point Cabins will reopen on Wednesday (10/12/16). Check-in is at 1:00 p.m.
- The beach from Mile Marker 4 north is closed to vehicles.
- Travel on the beach and back road between Mile Marker 4 and Old Drum Inlet is allowed in accordance with posted safety closures and wildlife buffers.
- Portsmouth Village is still flooded and remains closed until further notice.
Visitors should be aware the park is experiencing high surf and high tides. Also, visitors coming to the park should be sure to check the status of roads, since many areas inland from the park are experiencing record high flooding.
Anyone with questions or concerns related to cabin reservations should contact Recreation.gov (www.recreation.gov, or call 877-444-6777). Reservations canceled due to weather will be issued a full refund.