|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Pat Kenney, 252-728-2250 ext. 3014
HARKERS ISLAND, NC – The National Park Service (NPS) is continuing its recovery efforts following Hurricane Arthur. Many recovery efforts have been completed and Superintendent Pat Kenney is pleased to announce that Shackleford Banks will reopen to camping on July 7, 2014. Repairs and clean up continue in other areas, including the Long Point and Great Island Cabin Camps, the Harkers Island Nature Trails, and the Cape Lookout Village Historic District.
Effective July 7, 2014, the following areas and activities will be on normal operations:
- Harkers Island Visitor Center and Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center
- Beaufort Visitor Information Center
- Light Station Visitor Center, Keepers’ Quarters Museum, and Cape Lookout Lighthouse
- Portsmouth Village
- All ferry services, including:
- Passenger ferry service to Shackleford Banks, the Cape Lookout Light Station, and Portsmouth Village
- Vehicle ferry service to South Core Banks from Davis, NC, and to North Core Banks from Atlantic, NC
- Mule Train truck service from the Cape Lookout Light Station to the Cape Lookout point
- Camping is permitted under normal regulations on Shackleford Banks (recently reopened), South Core Banks and North Core Banks
- Off-Road Vehicles will be permitted as normal on North and South Core Banks.
- Some sections of the “back road” were impacted by the storm. Drivers are advised to use caution and be aware of their surroundings and road conditions.
- Long Point Cabins
- Cabins 5-20 are open. Check-in is at 1pm.
- Cabins 1-4 are closed until repairs can be completed.
- Great Island Cabins
- Cabins 2-9, 11-15, 17, 20-24, and 26 are open. Check-in is at 1pm.
- Cabins 1, 10, 16, 18, and 19 are closed until repairs can be completed.
- People with cabin reservations should be contacted by recreation.gov. If you have questions or need additional information about cabin reservations or refunds, please call the Park Service at 252-728-2250, extension 3020.
Due to damages, safety concerns or resource protection needs, the following areas remain closed:
- Cape Lookout Village Historic District
- Old Drum Inlet beach area
- North Core Banks for 1⁄4 mile south of Ocracoke Inlet due to a deep tidal cut
- Harkers Island nature trails
“We will continue to work to reopen the entire park and will keep everyone updated on our progress,” said Superintendent Kenney. Please call the park at 252-728-2250, or check the park website at www.nps.gov/CALO, Facebook page or Twitter sites for updates.