Seashore Announces June Lighthouse Open House
Contact: Wouter Ketel, 252-728-2250 ext. 3005
Harkers Island, North Carolina. Superintendent Bob Vogel announces the opening of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse for one day on Saturday, June 17, 2006, to commemorate the transfer of the lighthouse from the U.S. Coast Guard to the National Park Service in June of 2003.
During the Open House, tower entry will be by reservation only. Reservations may be made Wednesday, May 31, beginning at 9:00 a.m. until the 230 limit is reached. Be aware that due to high demand, climbing reservations usually fill up within two hours on the reservation day. Reservations will only be accepted by phone. Call (252)728-5766 for reservations.
Reservations may be made for family groups with a limit 5 people per group. Please remember that in order to climb you must:
* Make a reservation during the reservation period for the Open House date.
* Be at least eight years old. (Under 16 must be escorted by an adult)
* Be able to climb without assistance.
* Wear shoes.
The lighthouse tower will be open from 10:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Climbing times will be assigned at the time you make your reservation. To allow as many to climb as possible – time on the gallery will be limited.
Remember that the lighthouse was not built with visitors in mind. Some spaces are very narrow and difficult to enter. For your safety:
* Only handheld cameras are permitted.
* Backpacks (including child carriers), camera cases and tripods are not permitted in the lighthouse.
* Only small groups may be on the gallery at one time.
The Cape Lookout Lighthouse is located on South Core Banks. South Core Banks is an island without bridge connections to the mainland. To reach the lighthouse will require taking one of the privately operated ferry services or using your own boat.