A Story of Segregation, Blackwell School

Built in 1909, the Blackwell School served as a segregated school for the Hispanic population of Marfa, Texas, during the era of de facto segregation from 1889-1965. This site will help preserve and share stories from a time when the practice of “separate but equal” dominated education and social systems in the United States.

Image depicting interior exhibits and information with original wood features.

FAQs

Answers to frequently asked questions about the site.

Off white building in early morning sun with one door and two windows.

Learn about the Blackwell School

The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2019.

Last updated: October 17, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Blackwell School NHS
c/o Fort Davis NHS Superintendent
P.O. Box 1379

Fort Davis , TX 79734

Contact Us

Tools

Stay Connected