Administrative Order #21-007
October 4, 2021
This order rescinds the July 17, 2021 Administrative Order #21-004 for Big Hole National Battlefield, and implements the following:
Closures, restrictions and public use limits:
Closure Order: Under the authority provided to the Superintendent in 36 CFR 1.5, the motor vehicle road accessing the lower parking lot at Big Hole National Battlefield is closed to the public effective October 5, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time, until further notice. The closure includes the picnic area and all trails accessed from the lower parking lot: West Boundary, Siege Area, Howitzer Hill, Horse Pasture, and Encampment Area.
Authority: 16 CFR 1.5(a)(c)
Notice: This administrative order applies to all individuals subject to the regulatory authority of the National Park Service (NPS) within the boundaries of Big Hole National Battlefield, except as follows:
- Park employees and park residents.
- Persons authorized by the Trail Creek Fire Incident Management Team to conduct official business associated with fire-fighting activities.
- Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- Persons with authorization from the Superintendent.
The NPS issues this administrative order for the purposes of maintaining public health and safety, providing resource protection, and to support firefighting activities.
This finding requires the NPS to take the actions identified above because:
- The closure reduces potential conflict between fire protection activities and public safety, and provides for public safety and resource protection in areas affected by and adjacent to fire burned areas.
This order is effective October 5, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time and will remain in effect until further notice. The order will be modified or rescinded when conditions warrant.
Stephen G. Thede, Superintendent
(Signature on File)
Date: October 4, 2021