Special Use Permits

Some outdoor activities require a special use permit. These activities include getting married at the Preserve, commercial filming and photography, and athletic contests. A special use permit is also required for memorialization by the spreading of ashes (human remains).

For questions related to the application process specified below, please contact the special use permit coordiantor's office at 239-695-2000 or through email.


Special Use Permit Application
To apply for a special use permit for these activities, download an application, and information sheet. Follow instructions in the information sheet to submit the application and application fee. A completed application must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $100.


A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect resources and the public interest.
Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • concerts
  • ceremonies
  • cultural programs

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all first amendment activities require special use permits and the National Park Service may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted.
Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • religious services
  • collecting signatures for petitions
  • public demonstrations or assemblies
  • distribution and/or sale of printed matter

Other activities may require permits if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of highly visited area, or possible impact on park resources.

Last updated: July 24, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

33100 Tamiami Trail East
Ochopee, FL 34141


239 695-2000

Contact Us