The laws, regulations, policies, and directives, along with the Enabling Act for the Preserve, General Management Plan, and the Preserve purpose and significance are used to refine the definition of those activities deemed necessary and appropriate revenue producing visitor services for Big Cypress National Preserve.
A service deemed “necessary” must accomplish one or more of the following:
1. Contributes to visitor understanding and appreciation of Preserve purpose and significance
2. Enhances visitor experiences consistent with Preserve area philosophies
3. Assists the Preserve in managing visitor use and educating Preserve visitors
4. Is an essential service or facility not available within a reasonable distance of the Preserve
5. Addresses one or more of the themes identified in the Preserve’s Long Range Interpretive Plan
A service that is “appropriate” must accomplish all of the following:
1. Is consistent with the purpose and significance of the Preserve
2. Is consistent with laws, regulations and policies applicable to the Preserve and the NPS
3. Does not compromise public health and safety
4. Does not significantly impact or impair Preserve resources or values
5. Does not unduly conflict with other Preserve uses and activities
6. Does not exclude the general public from participating in limited recreational opportunities
Here is a list of currently authorized services. These activities have been analyzed by Preserve staff to determine whether they are necessary and appropriate. The list was developed by drawing from the activities listed in the 1991 GMP for the Preserve as well as activities identified by the public.
Due to the sensitive nature of Preserve resources and the anticipated number of businesses interested in providing visitor services, initial limits have been set in order to ensure the protection of the natural and cultural resources and maintain the highest possible visitor experience. Click here to see current limits. Click here to read more on sustainable ecotourism and visitor capacity.
Click here to review the process to request activities not currently identified as an authorized service.