On This Page Navigation


Special Park Uses

The rugged beauty of the Badlands is a spectacular backdrop for filming, organized activities, or wedding ceremonies. A special park use is a short-term activity, like those mentioned, that occurs in a National Park Service area and:

  • Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large
  • Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest
  • Is not prohibited by law or regulation
  • Is neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service

Special park uses, if approved, require the issuance of Special Use Permits and payment of permit fees before the activity can be held in the park. Special Use Permits must be acquired for commercial and independent filming, weddings, and commercial photography.

How To Apply

You may download a permit application online. The completed application must be submitted with $100.00. The $100.00 is a non-refundable application and administrative charge. This fee should be in the form of cash (though not by mail), certified check, or credit card information. Other administrative fees (see below) may also apply.

To apply for a Special Use Permit, print and complete the form listed above, attach any required fees, and mail it to the address specified on the form. For further information about obtaining a Special Use Permit or determing if your activity needs a permit, please contact the park at 605-433-5361 and ask for the Fee Program Manager.

  • 1-2 people (camera and tripod only): $0/day
  • 1-10 people: $150/day
  • 11-30 people: $250/day
  • 31-49 people: $500/day
  • 50+ people: $750/day
  • 1-10 people: $50/day
  • 11-30 people: $150/day
  • 30+ people: $250/day

Last updated: June 23, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

25216 Ben Reifel Road
Interior, SD 57750


(605) 433-5361

Contact Us