What to see and do
Visit the web pages below to get directions and plan a trip.
Samuel de Champlain's astrolabe, dated 1603, which was lost in 1613 and recovered in 1876. (Canadian Museum of Civilization).
- Saint Croix
- Saint Croix Island International
- Visit the waysides at Red Beach to learn about the settlement and its occupants. Stand at the shore and compare Champlain's drawings with the island directly in view across the river. Follow an interpretive walking trail along the banks of the Saint Croix River, with waysides and statues depicting the French settlers and members of the Passamaquoddy tribe. The island itself is only accessible by boat, and commercial tours are prohibited from landing.
- Located in Augusta, Maine, the museum currently houses several artifacts excavated at Saint Croix Island. The collection is on loan from the NPS.
- Saint Croix Island International Historic Site
- Port Royal
National Historic Site of Canada
- Visit a reconstruction of the French settlement first placed there by the Sieur de Monts in August of 1605. Costumed interpreters and exhibits bring to life the seventeenth century French settlement.
- Roosevelt Campobello International
- Champlain notes anchoring near Campobello while on his return journey to Port Royal in the fall of 1606.
- Port-Royal National Historic Site of Canada
- Mt. Desert Island and Isle au Haut, Acadia NP
- Bangor, Maine
Museum and Center for History
- The Bangor Historical Society collects, preserves, and interprets the history of the Penobscot Valley. Visit the museum to learn more about Native American peoples in the area.
- Bangor Museum and Center for History
- Massachusetts coast
(NPS Photo) Projectile point corroborating Champlain's maps of Native American villages on Cape Cod.
- Boston Harbor Islands National
- Visit the harbor and islands to see how the coast has changed since Champlain mapped the French explorations.
- Boston National Historical Park
- Learn about the cultural life of Boston Harbor in exhibits and tours.
- Check out exhibits on nautical history, local natural history, and local archeology and history.
- See reconstructions of Native American settlements.
- Salem Maritime National Historical
- Find out about the maritime history of the Massachusetts coastline.
- Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area
- Malle Barre/Nauset Harbor