Safety and Regulations
While touring the park stay alert to traffic. Bicyclists should use caution descending hills. Maryland Law requires riders under the age of 16 to wear an approved D.O.T. helmet. Cyclists are subject to Maryland Traffic Law.
Please use trails to minimize contact with stinging nettles, ticks, and snakes. Good walking shoes should be worn on the trails and be aware of groundhog holes. Do not climb on cannons, monuments, fences or trees. Relic hunting is prohibited.
Report Crimes in your National Parks
Toll Free 1-866-677-6677
Report these crimes against National Park resources and Park emergencies:
- Looting of archeological or historic resources
- Plant and tree cutting
- Fish and wildlife poaching
- Boundary encroachment and trespassing
- Dumping and water pollution
- Vandalism and arson
- Marijuana cultivation or drug labs
- Public use violations such as illegal campsites and off-road vehicles.
If you see a violation, record the following information: Date Time Location Vehicle license number Vehicle description Description of person(s) involved Details of violation Any other details, no matter how insignificant they may seem.