Permits & Reservations

Please click here for current information regarding permits at Antietam Battlefield during the COVID-19 shutdown.


The Rohrbach Campground is available for organized youth groups (such as scouts and school groups) only. For more information and to make a reservation, please visit Ten sites are available with advance reservation. Each campsite offers a fire ring and picnic tables and space to accommodate a maximum of 30 people. Outdoor restrooms are available at the campground and indoor facilities are located at the Antietam National Cemetery and the Visitor Center. A water spigot is available at the visitor center - please provide your own water containers. When the temperature is above freezing, the rangers also provide a water buffalo on-site at the campground. Map to the Rohrbach Campground, (pdf, 2.7 MB).

Please Note: Scout and organized youth groups only. Family and individual camping is not available at Antietam Battlefield, but you can visit this list of public campgrounds in the area that are open to family and individual camping.

Basic Permit Information

A permit is required to conduct activities including, but not limited to:

  • Organized recreational events
  • Ceremonies
  • Public assemblies/meetings/gatherings/demonstrations/parades/etc. by groups of more than 25 people
  • Sale or distribution of printed material (not solely advertising) by groups of more than 25 people
  • Memorialization
  • Business operations
  • Commercial photography or filming
  • Horseback riding in groups of 6 or more

For more detailed information, see the park Superintendent’s Compendium or 36 CFR Sections 2.50, 2.51, or 2.52 . You can also contact the park Special Use Permit Office at (301) 432-0306 x105 or email them. Current National Park Service policy states that “A permittee may not collect admission, parking, or any other monies associated with a special event on park property.” All permittee monetary transactions must take place outside the park.”

Applying for a Permit

Persons interested in applying for a permit should contact the permit office by email (recommended) or by telephone at 301-432-0306 x105. They can answer questions and provide the application form if required. A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 is required; payment will be arranged using an on-line, government payment system. Allow at least two to three weeks for the review and approval process. Applications for new race type events that begin and/or finish in the park, weddings with more than 50 participants, wedding receptions, or after hours events will not be accepted.

Cost Recovery

Other costs may be incurred by the National Park Service due to a permitted event, including- charges for monitoring the event, traffic and parking control, and other associated costs. A Special Use Permit will include an estimate of these costs and the permittee will be billed for these services after the event. Permit holders must supply all equipment required for their event.

For More Information

Any questions regarding special use permits should be directed to the park’s Permit Office at (301) 432-0306 x105 or email them.

Private Tours

For persons wishing a personalized tour, the Antietam Battlefield Guides can provide you a private tour of the battlefield. The guide service is offered though the park's cooperative association, Eastern National. The standard tour lasts two hours, but many individuals and groups hire guides for longer periods of time. In addition, guides can provide specialty tours. These include tours on particular units or certain areas of the battlefield, as well as other facets of the Maryland Campaign, such as the Siege of Harpers Ferry and the Battles of South Mountain. Tour rates vary depending upon the length of the tour and the size of the group. For more information, please visit Keep in mind that tour arrangements should be made in advance by calling our museum store at 301-432-4329.

Last updated: July 15, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 158
Sharpsburg, MD 21782


(301) 432-5124

Contact Us