The National Park Service defines Special Use as a short term activity that takes place in a park area and that:

  • Provides a benefit to an individual/group/organization rather than the public at large
  • Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest
  • Is not prohibited by law or regulation
  • Is neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the NPS
There is a non-refundable application fee of $20* for any of the following except First Amendment activities (see First Amendment section for more information). Please include as much detailed information as possible on the application and submit it at least 7 working days in advance of your activity so that we can adequately address any concerns and respond in a timely manner.

Activities included:

Small, professional news crews (2-3 people) or media coverage of an ongoing or recent event or incident do not require a permit. Please contact the park for all other news media concerns.

*If the special use requires park staff to monitor the event or stay after-hours, appropriate charges will be added to the $20 application fee for cost recovery.

Items of Note

All permits issued by the National Park Service are "revocable" without notice if the terms of the permit are violated.

At no time may other visitors' experience be directly impeded by any special use. They may not be approached, solicited, or harassed in any way.

All printed material that will be distributed must be attached to the application for review.

The more information you provide on the application results in a faster review process. It is better for us to have too much information than not enough, so please be as descriptive as possible in regards to what your activity will look like.

Where to Send Your Permit Application and Check/Money Order

(Please note that the fee covers the processing cost, but does not guarantee approval)

Checks must be made out to the 'National Park Service', but mailed with the application to our site:

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace NHP
Attn: Special Use Permit Coordinator
2995 Lincoln Farm Road
Hodgenville, KY 42748

Or email your application to:

(check/money order must still be physically mailed)

Phone number: 270-358-3137
Fax number: 270-358-3874


For tour and school groups, it is recommended a reservation be made by the leader or school teacher (specifically for date and time scheduling of the movie, Abraham Lincoln: The Kentucky Years) by contacting the park at (270) 358-3137.

Information needed for a reservation includes:

  • Date of reservation/alternate date
  • Time
  • Name of teacher/leader
  • Grade of class (if school)
  • Number in group (including chaperones)
  • School or Organization name
  • Tour Company
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Movie Attendance

Last updated: October 16, 2016

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2995 Lincoln Farm Road
Hodgenville , KY 42748


270 358-3137

Contact Us

Stay Connected