The National Park Service defines Special Use as a short term activity that takes place in a park area and that:
- Provides a benefit to an individual/group/organization rather than the public at large
- Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest
- Is not prohibited by law or regulation
- Is neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the NPS
- Commercial Filming and Photography
- First Amendment Activities
- Picnic Area Use
- Other Special Uses
Items of Note
All permits issued by the National Park Service are "revocable" without notice if the terms of the permit are violated.
At no time may other visitors' experience be directly impeded by any special use. They may not be approached, solicited, or harassed in any way.
All printed material that will be distributed must be attached to the application for review.
The more information you provide on the application results in a faster review process. It is better for us to have too much information than not enough, so please be as descriptive as possible in regards to what your activity will look like.
Where to Send Your Permit Application and Check/Money Order
(Please note that the fee covers the processing cost, but does not guarantee approval)
Checks must be made out to the 'National Park Service', but mailed with the application to our site:
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace NHP
Attn: Special Use Permit Coordinator
2995 Lincoln Farm Road
Hodgenville, KY 42748
Or email your application to:
(check/money order must still be physically mailed)
Phone number: 270-358-3137
Fax number: 270-358-3874
For tour and school groups, it is recommended a reservation be made by the leader or school teacher (specifically for date and time scheduling of the movie, Abraham Lincoln: The Kentucky Years) by contacting the park at (270) 358-3137.
Information needed for a reservation includes:
- Date of reservation/alternate date
- Name of teacher/leader
- Grade of class (if school)
- Number in group (including chaperones)
- School or Organization name
- Tour Company
- Phone Number
- Movie Attendance