On February 12, 1909, the centennial of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, President Theodore Roosevelt came to Hodgenville for the formal laying of the cornerstone for the Lincoln Memorial Hall. He was accompanied at the event by family members and members of the Lincoln Farm Association.
On November 8, 1911, President William H. Taft came to the state capitol building in Frankfort, Kentucky for the dedication of the Adolph A. Weinman statue of Abraham Lincoln in the capital building rotunda.
The Lincoln Farm Association represented a diverse group of intellectuals, politicians, public servants, artists, and business and religious interests. It was "organized and incorporated to develop the Lincoln Birthplace Farm into a National Park." It was through their efforts that the site of the birth of Abraham Lincoln became a national park in 1916.
In July 1916, the Abraham Lincoln National Park was established by Congress. The care of the park was assigned to the War Department of the United States government. It remained under the care of the War Department until it was turned over to the National Park Service in 1933.