Closures for Peregrine Falcon Protection
May 24, 2013
The peregrine falcon is a fully protected species in California and a special status species in Yosemite due to its sensitivity to disturbance during the nesting season. To protect this species, the superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2013. By order of the superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are identified as cliffs closed to visitor use, including climbing activities, beginning March 1, 2013 and remaining in effect until July 15, 2013, or until further notice:
- Arch Rock Area - Lower Merced Canyon. All routes above the main wall at Arch Rock, including Arch Rock Pinnacle and the top pitches of "Gripper" and "Nerf Test" above the walk-off ledge are closed. The main wall, which includes all routes from "Dirty Little Secret" east to "Grokin," plus
"Juliette's Flake," "Extra Credit," "Now," "Omakara," and "Later" are open.
- El Capitan, Southeast Face - Closure includes all big wall routes between and including "New Dawn," "Reticent Wall," "Wall of Early Morning Light," and "Mescalito." The first 10 pitches of the closed routes, from the base of El Capitan, remain open.
- El Capitan, Southwest Face - Closure includes all big wall routes between and including "Aquarian Wall" east to "Cosmos." The closure also includes the portion of the "Thanksgiving Ledge" between "Aquarian Wall" to "Cosmos." All other portions of the "Thanksgiving Ledge" and the first 10 pitches from the base of the closed routes remain open. The Salathe Wall remains open.
- Hetch Hetchy - Closed area includes Wapama Cliff (immediately west of Wapama Falls).
- Medlicott Dome - Tuolumne. Closure includes all routes between and including "Shambles" to "Bogey Meets Mr. Porcupine."
- Rhombus Wall - Above Ahwahnee Meadow. Closure includes all routes west of "Super Slide" to the Ahwahnee Ramps, including all routes on the Rhombus Wall.
- The Rostrum - Lower Merced Canyon. Closure includes "Super Nova" and extends west to all climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum. The "Jungle Gym" area remains open. Slack-lining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
Nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
Learn more about special status bird species in Yosemite National Park.