Closures for Peregrine Falcon Protection
March 1, 2015
Updated March 17, 2015 to clarify Middle Cathedral Rock closure
Updated April 22, 2015 to remove several closures and add one new one (Lost Arrow)
Updated May 21, 2015 to clarify Arch Rock closure
The peregrine falcon is a fully protected species in California and a special status species in Yosemite due to its sensitivity to disturbance during the nesting season. To protect this species, the superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2015. By order of the superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are identified as cliffs closed to visitor use, including climbing activities, beginning March 1, 2015 and remaining in effect until July 15, 2015, or until further notice:
- Arch Rock Area – Lower Merced Canyon. All routes above the walk-off ledge, above the main wall at Arch Rock, including Arch Rock Pinnacle, are closed. The main wall, which includes all routes from "Dirty Little Secret" east to "Grokin," plus "Juliette's Flake," "Extra Credit," "Now," "Omakara" and "Later" are open. When possible, please refrain from using the walk-off ledge.
- B.O.L.T. Wall – Immediately southwest of Leaning Tower. Closure includes all routes on the B.O.L.T. Wall.
- Hetch Hetchy – Closed area includes Wapama Cliff (immediately west of Wapama Falls).
- Lost Arrow Spire – Closure includes all routes on Lost Arrow Spire (Lost Arrow Spire Direct, Lost Arrow Tip, and Lost Arrow Spire Chimney). Slacklining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
- Medlicott Dome (Tuolumne Meadows) – Closure includes all routes between and including “Shambles” to “Bogey Meets Mr. Porcupine.”
- The Rostrum (Lower Merced Canyon) – Closure includes “Super Nova” and extends west to all climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum. The “Jungle Gym” area remains open. Slack-lining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
Nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
The designation will remain in place until rescinded.
Learn more about special status bird species in Yosemite National Park.