Headquarter's Visitor Center Switching to Winter Hours on Sept. 20th
Wrangell-St Elias's main visitor center, located near Copper Center, AK, will be switching to winter hours starting September 20th. The new hours of operation are Mon.-Fri. 9:00 am-4:00 pm and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Wrangell St Elias National Park and Preserve to Burn Debris Piles
Fire management staff at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve will burn piles of debris consisting of trees and brush from July 20 through July 26. Burning of piles may occur at any time during the above dates.The pile burn locations are near NPS structures at the Radovan Upper Camp, Kiagna Cabin, Klawasi backcountry cabin, and Big Bend Lake Cabins. Ignition of the piles will occur during the morning and last until the afternoon. Smoke may be visible in the vicinity of these areas.
National Park Service Fire Management staff will be on site managing the burn. The burn piles resulted from a hazardous fuels treatment project that occurred on the properties during the summer of 2011.
For additional information call Wrangell-St. Elias Public Affairs at (907)822-7223.
Did You Know?
The oldest road in Alaska, the Richardson Highway, evolved from a 5-foot wide pack route called the Valdez Trail. This route, initiated in 1898, served as the only land access to Interior Alaska until completion of the Alaska Highway in 1942.