Spring Program Schedule Announced
May 2, 2013
Outer Banks Group, 252-475-9034
National Park Service Outer Banks Group (Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, Wright Brothers National Memorial, and Cape Hatteras National Seashore) spring program season will run from Friday, May 3 through Friday, May 31, 2013.A variety of programs are offered--all programs are free.
Wright Brothers National Memorial:
- Daily, 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m., 4 p.m. - Flight Room Talk: Learn about the Wrights and how they developed the first successful airplane. See a demonstration of their control system on a reproduction of the 1903 Flyer. Flight Room Auditorium (25 min)
- Daily, every 30 minutes - Park Movie, Kitty Hawk - The Wright Brothers' Journey of Invention: Learn more about what happened in 1903. First Flight Pavilion Auditorium (20 min).
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site:
- Daily, 11:30 a.m. - The Lost Colony?: Join us as we explore the history and mystery surrounding England's first attempt to colonize the New World. Meet at the Earthen Fort (25 min)
- Daily, 1:30 p.m. - One Island, Many Stories!: The stories at Fort Raleigh are many.Join us to explore this history.Meet at the Earthen Fort (25 min)
- Daily, every half-hour:Park Movie, Roanoke The Lost Colony: Learn more about the Lost Colony. Visitor Center Auditorium (17 min).
Cape Hatteras National Seashore:
- Mon-Fri, 10:30 a.m. - Barrier Island Nature: Join a ranger for a talk about the wild side of the Outer Banks. Learn how to protect unique seashore resources such as nesting shorebirds and sea turtles and their precious habitats. Check at the visitor center to learn the topic of the day. Visitor Center Pavilion (20 min)
- Mon-Fri, 3 p.m. - Sentinel of the Shore: Learn about the rich history of, and future plans for, the park's majestic lighthouses. Visitor Center Pavilion (30 min).
- Sun, Wed & Fri, 11 a.m. - Barrier Island Nature: Sea turtles, shorebirds, seashells and shoreline migration. Join a ranger for a talk about the wild side of the Outer Banks. Topics will vary daily. Ocracoke Visitor Center (30 min)
- Mon & Thurs, 11 a.m. - Ocracoke History: Come find out more about the Ocracoke Island and its people. Ocracoke Visitor Center (30 min)
- Tues, 9:30 a.m. - Explore the Shore: Join us for a morning walk across un-developed ocean beaches. Ocracoke campground parking lot (1 hr)
- Tues & Sat, 2 p.m. - Banker Ponies:Learn more about the ponies' mysterious origins, unique physical attributes, and survival skills. Ocracoke Pony Pens (30 min).
By attending programs and completing a workbook, kids can become Junior Rangers.Booklets are free and available at each National Park Service visitor center.For more information, call 252-473-2111 or visit the park websites at www.nps.gov/caha , www.nps.gov/wrbr and www.nps.gov/fora