Nuestro Padre San Francisco de Átil
"Referred to in Jesuit records as Los Siete Príncipes del Áti (The Seven Archangels of Áti), the patronage of this mission was apparently changed to that of San Francisco of Assisi when the Franciscans arrived in 1768 and made it a cabecera with a visita at Oquitoa. Spelling of the name varied between Áti and Átil. There is no evidence of a church having been built ther in Father Kino's day, although it was reported in 1730 that construction of such a building had been started.
"What is known for sure is that the church and missionary's residence at Átil, whose slowly melting adobe ruins can still be seen, were built under the administration of Father Jacobo Sedelmayr of Tubutama when Átil was its visita. This structure, although now in ruins, has special appeal in that it was the home base from 1756 to 1761 for one of Pimería Alta's more literary Jesuit missionaries, Father Ignaz Pfefferkorn, whose 'Sonora: A Description of the Province' (Tucson: The University of Arizona Press, 1989) is a regional classic. (The Pimeria Alta: Southwestern Mission Research Center)
Bishop Antonio de los Reyes on 6 July 1772 wrote a report on the condition of the missions in the Upper and Lower Pimeria Alta. Following is his report on San Francisco de Átil as translated by Father Kieran McCarty:
Did You Know?
Soldiers of New Spain's frontier who protected the missions were known as soldados de cuera, or "soldiers of the leather jacket."