From January 1691, beginning with Padre Eusebio Kino, until the administration of Padre Custodio Jimeno in 1767, missionaries of the Catholic religious order called the Company of Jesus (Jesuits) operated the Missions of Guevavi, Tumacácori, Calabazas, and Sonoitac. Tumacácori and Guevavi were the first missions established in what is today Arizona, soon followed by Sonoitac. Calabazas was established later. Aside from those Jesuits who administered the missions from outside the area (home mission listed beside their name), each of them lived at Guevavi and visited the other three missions. Continue further down this page for more of this chronology.
Eusebio Francisco Kino (Dolores) January 1691 - March 1711
A revolt of O'odham people in the Altar Valley on Sunday, November 21, 1751 effectively closed the missions down, and Guevavi and its visitas did not get another resident missionary until the winter of 1753.
The Jesuits were expelled from the northern provinces of New Spain in July of 1767 and it was a full year before the Franciscan order of Catholic missionaries began to replace them.
There were also two secular priests who visited Guevavi on a few occasions.
Some of the other Jesuit missionaries who served in, or as superiors to those who served in the Pimería Alta and had an effect on the area are included below.
Did You Know?
Captain Juan Bautista de Anza of Tubac led over 300 people from here to the San Francisco Bay in 1775-76 to establish a Spanish colony and presidio there.