Beginning with Juan Crisóstomo Gil de Bernabe in in the spring of 1768 and ending with Ramón Liberós in the spring of 1828, Catholic missionaries of the Franciscan religious order lived at Tumacácori and administered the missions of Tumacácori, Guevavi, Calabazas, and Sonoitac. After the expulsion of Padre Liberós by the new Mexican government because of his having been born in Spain, Tumacácori never had another resident missionary. Other Franciscans tried to keep the missions opperating by visiting them from a distance, but Guevavi, Sonoitac, and Calabazas were abandoned in that order. Eventually, in December of 1848, Tumacácori was also abandoned. Following is a list of Franciscan priests who served at Tumacácori:
Juan Crisóstomo Gil de Bernabé May 1768—March 1772
After the expulsion of peninsular-born Spanish priests in 1828, Díaz resided at Cocóspera and rode the circuit to the presidio at Tucson and stopped at Tumacácori from 1837 until 1841 when he died. He was pastor to the entire northern Pimería, San Ignacio to Tucson.
Two Tumacácori Franciscans were disinterred twice and reburied after their death and initial burial beneath the floor of the Jesuit church at Tumacácori.
Other Franciscan missionaries who served in the Pimería Alta and were familiar with Tumacácori and its visitas include:
Did You Know?
Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi is a mixture of Spanish and O'odham words meaning "The Holy Angels of the Big Wells."