George Washington Carver Museum Closing for Renovations
Contact: Shirley Baxter, 334-727-3200
Tuskegee, Alabama: The George Washington Carver Museum, one of the two featured sites at Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site and one of the most visited sites in Macon County, will be closing for renovations beginning October 15, 2012.
The Carver Museum, located on the Tuskegee University campus, was constructed in 1915 and originally served as the laundry at Tuskegee Institute. In 1938, the laundry was converted to the Carver Museum and the scientist's collections were relocated there. Henry Ford, a good friend of Dr. Carver, was on hand in 1941 to dedicate the museum. The park was designated a national park in 1977 and is the only national park located on a fully functioning college campus.
The renovations will include replacement of the elevator and the front desk to enhance accessibility of the museum. The contract has been awarded to WAM Industries, Inc. in Atlanta, Georgia. The project is funded by the National Park Service. "This renovation will allow us to protect this significant national treasure and to provide better customer service for everyone." said Superintendent Sandra Taylor.
Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site also manages The Oaks, the home of Booker T. Washington. The home will remain open and will serve as the park's visitor center during the museum renovations. The Oaks will be open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Carver Museum will reopen to the public in the early summer of 2013. For more information, please call 334-727-3200.
Did You Know?
The name Tuskegee means "Warrior" in the Muskhogean dialect of the Creek language. It was the name of at least two Indian tribes, one living in central Alabama and the other in Tennessee.