Ellis Island's Use by Other Government Agencies and the Military
National Park Service, Statue of Liberty NM
Ellis Island was always viewed as federal government property and there was always the presence of other federal agencies using the buildings and hospitals. The federal agencies most represented on Ellis Island were the military, predominately the United States Coast Guard, and, during the two World Wars, the United States Army. Items belonging to the employees, the hat and uniform worn by a member of the Coast Guard Women's Reserve (SPARs), and photographs of the medical personnel serving the military in the island's hospitals are evidence of this use and a significant component of the museum collection.
Did You Know?
Several agencies have been caretakers for the Statue. The U.S. Lighthouse Board cared for the statue as the first electric lighthouse or "navigational aid" 1886 - 1902, followed by the War Department 1902 - 1933 and since 1933 she has been cared for by employees of the National Park Service.