Mission San Francisco de la Espada
Following government policy, Franciscan missionaries sought to make life within mission communities closely resemble that of Spanish villages and Spanish culture. In order to become Spanish citizens and productive inhabitants, Native Americans learned vocational skills. As plows, farm implements, and gear for horses, oxen, and mules fell into disrepair, blacksmithing skills soon became indispensable. Weaving skills were needed to help clothe the inhabitants. As buildings became more elaborate, mission occupants learned masonry and carpentry skills under the direction of craftsmen contracted by the missionaries.
After secularization, these vocational skills proved beneficial to post-colonial growth of San Antonio. The legacy of these Native American artisans is still evident throughout the city of San Antonio today.
Click here for more information about Mission Espada. It is located at 10040 Espada Road, San Antonio, Texas, 78214.
Did You Know?
that along two of San Antonio's Spanish acequias (irrigation ditches), the San Juan Ditch Water Corp and the Espada Ditch Comp retain water rights first granted in 1731? While the park is the major stake holder, private shareholders continue to use the water on their fields and in farm tanks.