• Image of coast redwood forest along Cal-Barrel Road


    National and State Parks California

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Warning: Elk Calving Season, Elk Can Be Aggressive

    Female (cow) elk are defensive of their newly born calves. As people approach, a cow may charge and/or rear up and lash out with her front legs. For your safety, STAY 500 FEET AWAY from elk, at all times. More »

  • Davison Road Maintenance begins 7/7/2014. Expect delays.

    Beginning July 7, road crews will be grading sections of Davison Road between the hours of 8 am and 4:30 pm. Visitors to Gold Bluffs Beach and Fern Canyon should expect 30 minute delays.

Redwood National Park Offers Beach Access Permits for Commercial Surf

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: June 1, 2012
Contact: Park Information, 707-465-7335

Beginning June 1, 2012, the National Park Service (NPS) will begin accepting applications for available beach access permits. These permits allow holders vehicle access to Freshwater and Hidden Beaches for commercial fishing purposes.

Section 10 of the Northern California Coastal Heritage Wilderness Act calls for the NPS to issue permits for the purpose of continuing traditional commercial surf fishing. The number of such permits is limited. Permittees must meet a number of requirements each year to obtain such permits including (but not limited to) holding a valid commercial fishing license, completing training on the protection of sensitive species of birds which nest on local beaches, having a valid driver's license and a licensed and insured vehicle, and payment of $130 per year permit fee. Once a permit is issued, permittees must comply with permit conditions as well as meeting performance measures documenting fishing and proof of commercial sale of fish. 

Applicants will be rated and selected based on factors including commercial fishing experience, history of such experience, and knowledge of the local fishery. Permits are limited to one per person, run from April 1 to March 31 each year, and are non-transferrable and annually renewable provided all permit conditions are met.

Persons interested in applying can obtain application forms at the NPS Crescent City Information Center or by written request: Permit Coordinator, 1111 Second Street, Crescent City, CA 95531 Permit applications will be available beginning June 1 and must be received by the Permit Coordinator by close of business Friday, June 22, 2012. For additional information, please contact Patricia Riley, Permit Coordinator, 707-465-7307. 

For up-to-date information on Redwood National and State Parks, please call 707-465-7335, or visit the parks' website, www.nps.gov/redw or Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/RedwoodNPS.

This News Release can also be viewed, downloaded, and/or printed here (PDF, 117 KB).

Did You Know?

Did You Know?

Did you see that bullet cross the treetops? That's the marbled murrelet! The robin-sized seabird nests on the branches of old-growth conifer trees and flies to and from the ocean at 60 miles per hour. In the ocean, it feeds on fish. This bird is listed as state-endangered and federally-threatened.