• Autumn colors along Chapel Beach on a sunny fall day.

    Pictured Rocks

    National Lakeshore Michigan

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Grand Sable Dunes temporary closure to all public entry for visitor safety

    Grand Sable Dunes are rapidly eroding into Sable Creek and Lake Superior. The area from the Ghost Forest Trail north to Lake Superior then along the shoreline to the west side of Sable Creek is temporarily closed. Follow closure signs for your safety. More »

Chapel Road Improvements 2011-2012

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: November 21, 2011
Contact: Chris Case, 906-387-2607, x209

MUNISING, Mich. Park Superintendent Jim Northup announced the beginning of several facility improvements in the Mosquito-Chapel trailhead area of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  

The project - which began the week of November 21 - will include the replacement of two stream crossings, upgrading the surface of the last quarter mile of the Chapel Road, upgrading the Chapel-Mosquito area trailhead parking area and replacement of the old vault toilet.  Facility Manager Chris Case, who is overseeing the project, explained that the end result of this project will be the elimination of runoff and siltation into two creeks in the area, an improved roadway, and a new parking area with circular traffic pattern with increased parking capacity to 49 cars and 4 RV/bus stalls. The project also includes placement of a fully accessible vault toilet unit. 

The first phase of the work will be underway this fall with site preparation and placement of fill material in the Chapel-Mosquito trailhead parking lot. It is expected to take three to four weeks to complete. The second phase of the project will begin in the early spring of 2012 and include the stream crossing replacements and roadway improvements. 

Due to the extent of construction and movement of heavy equipment at the work site, the last half mile of the Chapel Road and the Chapel-Mosquito area trailhead parking area will be closed to vehicle traffic from November 21, 2011, to May 24, 2012. Limited parking is available at the beginning of the construction closure area. Foot traffic through the construction project will be permitted. 

The general contractor for the project is AMEC of Traverse City with AECOM of Marquette providing design and survey services and Gerou Excavating of Munising undertaking construction.      

"We are pleased that two local firms that have provided excellent service to the park in the past have been selected for this project," Case commented. "This project has been scheduled during the late fall and early spring to minimize the project's impact to the public. We look forward to a significantly improved access and more visitor friendly facility at this popular area of the national lakeshore."


Did You Know?

The Schoolcraft Blast Furnace was located at today's Munising Falls site.

The Schoolcraft/Munising Blast Furnace operated from 1869 to 1877. It produced many tons of pig iron for post Civil War continental expansion. Only ruins remain at this National Register of Historic Places site, located at Munising Falls in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. More...