St. Paul Parks and Recreation
Until the beginning of the railroad era in the 1880s, Lower Landing was the main source of supply and communication for the St. Paul community. It also served as the arrival point for tens of thousands of immigrants entering Minnesota. On average, each steamboat carried several hundred passengers, and the number of steamboat arrivals grew from 256 in 1854 to 1068 in 1858.
This important St. Paul landing was not actually known as Lambert Landing until 1937, when it was reconstructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) as a part of a revival of St. Paul’s riverfront. It was named after Colonel George Lambert, who was a prominent figure in the crusade to modernize Upper Mississippi River navigation.
This landing was located at a natural break in the Mississippi River’s 80-foot high bluffs (at the foot of present-day Jackson Street). Most of the landing was removed in the 1950s for the construction of Warner Road.
Present-day Lambert's Landing is marked by a plaque located in the section of St. Paul commonly known as Lowertown. Mississippi River barges continue to dock there.
Activities: There is a biking and hiking trail that runs through. Lambert's Landing is the location where the American Queen and its sister vessels pick up and drop off people for long paddleboat trips on the Mississippi River.
Contact Information: Call the Saint Paul Parks and Recreation at 651-266-8989.
Did You Know?
Certain freshwater mussels can live to more than 100 years in the right conditions. This lifespan is one of the longest for any creature on earth.