Fordyce Bathhouse Visitor Center Closed
The Fordyce Bathhouse Visitor Center is closed until Fall 2013 for a major maintenance project. A temporary park Visitor Center, along with the park store, are located in the Lamar Bathhouse at the south end of Bathhouse Row. Call for more information.
Oral History Collection
National Park Service image from HOSP archives
In the early 1980s interpretive rangers at Hot Springs National Park began recording oral accounts from some of the bathing attendants and other employees of the various bathhouses in town. These accounts include the recorded interview, written transcription, and photographs of each person interviewed. Later interviews were also conducted by local historians and park staff.
Below are links to the audio recordings and their text transcriptions. The audio files are large, so please be patient while they load.
Audrey Olds Audio Interview Transcript
Alroy Puckett Audio Interview Transcript
Lewis "Snook" Wesson Audio Interview Transcript
Did You Know?
The Public Health Service operated a venereal disease clinic in the Government Free Bathhouse (1922-1948) in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas. It was one of the first facilities in the United States to use penicillin. In 1948, the clinic transferred to the nearby Camp Garraday Transient Camp.