12 Fee-Free Days at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park in 2013
Park Volunteers Paul and Jane Field will lead the volunteer service project effort on Mon., Jan. 21 to remove invasive ginger along Halema'uma'u Trail.
NPS Photo / Jessica Ferracane
News Release Date:
January 16, 2013
Hawaii National Park, Hawai'i - Mark your calendars for these entrance fee-free dates at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park in 2013:
- January 21, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and volunteer to remove invasive ginger on Halema'uma'u Trail, 9 a.m. to noon. Meet at Kīlauea Visitor Center. Bring raingear, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, hat, water, hiking shoes, gloves, loppers and snacks and/or lunch. Walk-ins welcome. For details, contact Park Ranger Adrian Boone by phone (808) 985-6172, or e-mail us. Entrance is free all day.
- April 22-26, National Park Week. America's best idea - national parks - is even better when it's free! Five days of no entrance fees at all fee-collecting national parks.
- July 13, 33rd Annual Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park Cultural Festival. The popular cultural festival returns to the summit of Kīlauea, at the Kahua Hula overlooking Halema'uma'u Crater, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., but entrance is free all day.
- August 25, National Park Service Birthday. The National Park Service was founded on Aug. 25, 1916. Celebrate America's best idea all day at Hawai'i Volcanoes, which was founded Aug. 16, 1916.
- September 28, National Public Lands Day. This year marks the 20th anniversary of National Public Lands Day, the largest single-day volunteer effort for public lands in the United States. Hawai'i Volcanoes will provide details on its volunteer service projects at a later date.
- November 9-11, Veterans Day Weekend. Three days of no entrance fees to honor and acknowledge the sacrifices and service of America's veterans.
Hawai'i Volcanoes is one of five national park units on the Island of Hawai'i. Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park is also free of charge on the NPS fee-free 2013 dates. Pu'ukoholā Heiau National Historic Site, Kaloko-Honokōhau National Historical Park, and the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail do not charge entrance fees. Information on special offerings at parks nationwide is available at http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparks.htm.