Grand Teton Association Celebrates 75 Years with Member’s Week
Contact: Public Affairs Office, 307.739.3393
Superintendent Mary Gibson Scott and the staff of Grand Teton National Park and the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway toast the Grand Teton Association (GTA) as they mark their 75th anniversary as a non-profit partner in support of Grand Teton National Park, the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway, Bridger-Teton National Forest, Caribou-Targhee National Forest and the National Elk Refuge. As part of this milestone, the Association will offer programs and discounts during its "Member's Week" from July 16-20.
Events on tap this week include:
During the coming week, GTA members will receive 25% discount at all Association locations. These locations include visitor centers throughout Grand Teton and the JDR Parkway and at the Jackson Hole & Greater Yellowstone Visitor Center. The GTA also operates gift shops at Menor's Ferry, the Jackson Hole Airport, Miller House on the National Elk Refuge, and bookstores at several locations through the Bridger-Teton and Caribou-Targhee national forests. Interpretive and educational items sold by the Association help to increase visitors' knowledge and appreciation of national parks and surrounding public lands.
The seed for the Grand Teton Association was planted in December of 1936, when Grand Teton National Park Superintendent Thomas Whitcraft met with a group of Jackson Hole businessmen to discuss forming an association to provide written educational materials to park visitors. As a result of that meeting, the Jackson Hole Museum and Historical Association was formed in 1937. A local businessman donated fifty dollars to begin purchasing publications, and a fledgling board of directors selected the first advisory committee consisting of Dr. Fritiof Fryxell (Grand Teton's first naturalist), Olaus Murie, Stephen Leek, and Harrison Crandall, among others. In 1956, the Jackson Hole Museum and Historical Association changed its name to Grand Teton Natural History Association, and the current board approved a name change to Grand Teton Association on June 6, 2007.
"The Grand Teton Association continues to be a key partner that helps us accomplish our NPS mission of providing education and inspiration for today's park visitors, and for future generations," said Superintendent Scott. "We greatly appreciate their passion, dedication, and commitment toward ensuring that visitors have a rich, enjoyable, and educational park experience."
For further information, go to www.grandtetonpark.org or follow the GTA online through Facebook and Twitter.