Bears are active in Grand Teton
Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »
Area closure in the area around Baxter's Pinnacle
An area closure is in effect around Baxter's Pinnacle to protect nesting peregrine falcons. This closure precludes any climbs of Baxter's Pinnacle and usage of the walk-off gully. This closure will be in effect through 8-15-2013. More »
Area Closure in effect in the Elk Ranch area
A temporary area closure is in effect in the Elk Ranch Area to protect wildlife during the denning and young-rearing period. Follow the link for a map of the closed area. More »
In 1998, the Ramshorn Lodge was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Legendary mountaineer and founder of the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), Paul Petzoldt purchased a cattle and guest ranch in 1935 with Gustav Koven. They expanded the ranch to include a dude ranch, hunting camp and climbing headquarters. Petzoldt helped build three cabins while gathering logs and excavating a cellar for the Ramshorn Lodge.
Petzoldt withdrew from the partnership after two years, but the Ramshorn continued for years as one of the valley’s most exclusive dude ranches. Grand Teton National Park purchased the ranch in 1956, and then leased the ranch to Katie Starratt, who relocated the Elbo Ranch operations. After she died in 1974, the park leased the property to the cooperative and independent Teton Science Schools still in use today.
How to get there: Drive north from Jackson on highway 191 past Moose Junction and turn right onto Antelope Flats Road. Drive three miles and turn right on the Kelly Road, in another one and a half miles turn left following signs to the Teton Science Schools Kelly campus. The Ramshorn Lodge is a central structure that houses the campus’ cafeteria.
Did You Know?
Did you know that Jenny and Leigh Lakes are named for the fur trapper “Beaver” Dick Leigh and his wife Jenny (not pictured)? Beaver Dick and Jenny assisted the Hayden party that explored the region in 1872. This couple impressed the explorers to the extent that they named the lakes in their honor.