• The Cathedral Group from the Teton Park Road

    Grand Teton

    National Park Wyoming

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Bears are active in Grand Teton

    Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »

  • Area closure in effect for trails in the Jenny Lake Area

    A temporary area closure will be in effect for several trails in the Jenny Lake area due to construction activities involving helicopter-assisted transport of heavy material. The closure will last from October 27 through October 30, and possibly longer. More »

  • Multi-use Pathway Closures

    Intermittent closures of the park Multi-use Pathway System will occur through mid-October during asphalt sealing and safety improvement work. Pathway sections will reopen as work is completed. Follow the link for a map and more information. More »

  • Moose-Wilson Road Status

    The Moose-Wilson Road between the Death Canyon Road and the Murie Center Road is currently open to all traffic. The road may re-close at any time due to wildlife activity. For current road conditions call 307-739-3682. More »

Leek's Lodge

Dying Elk
Starving elk in winter
Stephen Leek photograph, Stephen Leek Collection, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming, Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum
Stephen Leek

Stephen Leek feeding the elk.

In 1975, Leek's Lodge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Stephen Leek's Camera Conservation

In 1888, homesteader, businessman and conservationist Stephen Leek arrived in Jackson Hole to pursue ranching, guiding and later, conservation work. As one of the area's first outfitters, he established a "clubhouse" on Leigh Lake in 1889. In 1927, he built a lodge on the shores of Jackson Lake. Today, the chimney is all that remains of this historic lodge.

Stephen Leek pioneered the first conservation movement in Jackson Hole as a passionate campaigner for the local elk herd. During the severe winter of 1908-1909, thousands of elk died due to heavy snows and homesteads that blocked winter range. Leek's glass plate photographs of the elk nationally publicized the tragic winter die-off. In 1912, Congress set aside 1,000 acres as the National Elk Refuge. Today the refuge covers 25,000 acres, providing range for roughly 7,000 elk each winter.

The establishment of the National Elk Refuge marked an important change in attitude about land use here. Once opposed, homesteaders began supporting the government purchase of land for conservation.

How to get there: Turn west from highway 89 in the northern part of the park onto the spur road and continue a half mile to Leeks Marina. To view the chimney, take the short paved path from the upper parking lot to the restaurant. The chimney is located on your right.

Did You Know?

Pika with a mouth full of grass

Did you know that pikas harvest grasses so they can survive the long cold winter? These small members of the rabbit family do not hibernate, but instead store their harvest as “haystacks” under rocks in the alpine environment.