Bears are active in Grand Teton
Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »
Multi-use Pathway Closures
Intermittent closures of the park Multi-use Pathway System will occur through mid-October during asphalt sealing and safety improvement work. Pathway sections will reopen as work is completed. Follow the link for a map and more information. More »
Moose-Wilson Road Status
The Moose-Wilson Road between the Death Canyon Road and the Murie Center Road is currently open to all traffic. The road may re-close at any time due to wildlife activity. For current road conditions call 307-739-3682. More »
James “Jimmy” Manges sold 115 acres of his homestead to Chester Goss and his partners who established the Elbo Ranch in 1926. Their “cabin camp” boasted tourist cabins with indoor plumbing, a store, a baseball diamond, a large rodeo arena with a racetrack, a grandstand and refreshment kiosks. A roadside billboard proclaimed, “the home of the Hollywood Cowboy.” Acclaimed writer and owner of the Bar BC Dude Ranch, Struthers Burt, wrote Yellowstone Superintendent Horace Albright: “This speedway down here, the El-Bo Ranch and the south end of Timber Island, not to mention Jenny’s Lake, has about sickened me with this neck of the woods.” The Snake River Land Company bought the Elbo Ranch in 1929 setting aside this land for future park expansion. The ranch no longer exists, but faint remnants of the racetrack may be seen from above.
How to get there: Park at the southern entrance to the River Road, located just north of the Cottonwood Creek picnic area. The open sage just north of this parking area held the racetrack. Other Elbo Ranch structures stood on the west side of the road, north of the Jimmy Manges cabin.
Did You Know?
Did you know that until the 1890s no one had settled on the west bank of the Snake River in the central part of Jackson Hole? William “Bill” Menor built a ferry at Moose to shuttle patrons across the river, the only reliable crossing point between Wilson and Moran.