Bears are active in Grand Teton
Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »
Area closure in effect for trails in the Jenny Lake Area
A temporary area closure will be in effect for several trails in the Jenny Lake area due to construction activities involving helicopter-assisted transport of heavy material. The closure will last from October 27 through October 30, and possibly longer. More »
Multi-use Pathway Closures
Intermittent closures of the park Multi-use Pathway System will occur through mid-October during asphalt sealing and safety improvement work. Pathway sections will reopen as work is completed. Follow the link for a map and more information. More »
Moose-Wilson Road Status
The Moose-Wilson Road between the Death Canyon Road and the Murie Center Road is currently open to all traffic. The road may re-close at any time due to wildlife activity. For current road conditions call 307-739-3682. More »
In 2006, the bathhouse and mess hall from the Jenny Lake CCC camp were placed in the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1933, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) creating thousands of new jobs. CCC crews began arriving in 1935 at the south Jenny Lake camp, one of four in the park. Young men constructed miles of trails and facilities and removed thousands of dead trees along
After the CCC camp closed in 1942, the area, known as the "C-Camp," served as a base camp for world-renowned climbers. Yvon Chouinard, Irene Beardsley and Royal Robbins, among many others, stayed at the C-Camp while pioneering new routes in the Teton Range.
Beginning in 1946, Paul Petzoldt and Glenn Exum used the old CCC bathhouse as office space and living quarters for their guide service, Petzoldt-Exum School of American Mountaineering. Petzoldt and Exum—pioneers of guided climbing in the United States—challenged clients to learn skills necessary to climb the Teton Range's majestic peaks a break in tradition from European guides.
Today, the old bathhouse still serves as the summer headquarters for the Exum Mountain Guides.
How to get there: Drive north from Jackson to Moose Junction. Turn left onto the Teton Park Road toward Moose. Drive through the entrance station eight miles, turn left into the South Jenny Lake area. Parking can be very challenging here between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. during peak summer months. Plan your visit around these hours for the best experience. A variety of visitor services exist here including a visitor center, interpretive exhibits, ranger station, boating concession, restrooms and store. The To reach the old CCC camp, park at the far south end of the parking lot, walk across a wooden bridge to the Exum Mountain Guide offices.
Did You Know?
Did you know that the bark on Aspen trees looks green because it contains chlorophyll? Aspen bark is photosynthetic, a process that allows a plant to make energy from the sun, and helps the tree flourish during the short growing season.