Bears are active in Grand Teton
Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »
Area closure in the area around Baxter's Pinnacle
An area closure is in effect around Baxter's Pinnacle to protect nesting peregrine falcons. This closure precludes any climbs of Baxter's Pinnacle and usage of the walk-off gully. This closure will be in effect through 8-15-2013. More »
In Laurance's Words - Countdown: 1 Day
August 24, 2012
Throughout our celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Parkway, we have retold many stories of John D. Rockefeller, Jr. donating land and money to conservation, specifically within the park service. However, large donations of money are only good when they have a purpose and meaning behind them. JDR, Jr. had an eye for how he could make his money work, both for himself and for the greater public.
In 1924 he and his family toured many western parks. He was especially impressed with the museums and the rangers that interpreted the landscape for all ages of visitors. He saw this as a way for people to connect with nature, understand it, and hopefully want to protect it.
Mr. Rockefeller's vision of protected places included areas for recreation, contemplation, and inspiration. Here in Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway we are so grateful for his vision, generosity, and belief in our mission.
At the dedication ceremony for the park service unit named for his father, Laurance S. Rockefeller remembered him with these words:
"Father's greatest gift was not his generous donation of land, but rather his vision that people could live in harmony with nature."
Did You Know?
Did you know that Grand Teton National Park was established in both 1929 and 1950? The original 1929 park protected the mountain peaks and the lakes near the base. The boundaries were later expanded in 1950 to include much of the adjacent valley floor.