Two scientists in wet suits searching for hellbender salamanders in a fast flowing river

Scientists searching for hellbender salamanders in Noland Creek.


Permit for Scientific Research
If you wish to conduct scientific research in the park, please visit the National Park Service's Research Permit and Reporting website for information regarding permits. Great Smoky Mountains National Park has a number of issues and research questions that it seeks scientific help answering. If you have specific questions pertaining to research projects in the Smokies, please e-mail or call (828) 926-6251.

View a list of active permits as of May 26, 2015

Did You Know?