Park Campground and Medano Pass Road Closed for Winter
The Pinon Flats Campground is closed for the winter season until April 1. The Medano Pass Road remains closed for winter at Castle Creek Picnic area until snow and ice melt out. More »
Main Park Phone Lines Down
The main phone lines to the Visitor Center and primary park numbers are not operational. Individual staff lines are still functional. Please call 719-378-6373 to reach the Visitor Center.
Winter Camping Options
Area Winter Campground Options as of 2013-2014:
· Zapata Falls (BLM campground 7 miles south), 23 sites, no water. (No winter road maintenance.)
· Economy Campground, east of Alamosa, Hwy. 160, south side of highway, (719) 589-5574
· Blanca RV Park, 21 miles, Hwy. 160, south side of road in town of Blanca.
· UFO Watchtower north of Hooper on Hwy. 17 (719) 378-2296
· Sand Dunes Swimming Pool & RV Park, north of Hooper (Hwy. 17), closed Thursdays, (719) 378-2807
· Valley View Hot Springs, Villa Grove Closed 12/1 – 12/28 for maintenance. (719) 256-4315.
· Joyful Journey Hot Springs (yurt/teepee), intersection Hwy. 17 and 285 (719) 256-4328
· Woods and River RV Park, Del Norte, 25 Alder St. (719) 657-4530, or toll free (877) 354-6922.
· Ute Bluff Lodge, Cabins and RV Park, 27680 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 473-0595.
· Goodnight's Lonesome Dove RV and Cabins, 180065 Hwy 160, South Fork.
· Aspen Ridge RV Park, 0700 W. Hwy 149, South Fork.
· Riverbend RV Resort, 33846 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 621-6512.
· Rainbow Lodge and RV Park, 30359 Hwy 160, South Fork. (888) 873-5174.
· Forest Service Campgrounds (reservations, if available, at 877-444-6777). Call below for weather closures.
Backpacking is available year round, either on the dunes or in designated sites along the foothills.
Did You Know?
Alpine lakes such as Upper Sand Creek Lake are part of the mountain watershed of Great Sand Dunes, and provide a dramatic contrast to the stark dunefield. More...