Miller Army Air Field
NPS photo by R. Greenwood for National Register Nomination.
Miller Field was an airfield run by the U.S. Army from 1919 to 1969. Completed in 1921, it was the only Air Coast Defense Station on the east coast. Coast Artillery soldiers manned defenses during World War II. During the Cold War, Army aircraft including helicopters called Miller Field home. Miller Field was deactivated by the U.S. Army in 1969. It was the last grass runway in New York City.
For a detailed history of Miller Army Air Field, click here.
Miller Field is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
A contributing element to the National Historic Distict is the Elm Tree Light.
The National Register of Historic Places has made the site part of its "Aviation: From Sand Dunes to Sonic Booms." Travel Itinerary. To view this information, click here.
Did You Know?
Fort Wadsworth, located on Staten Island at the Narrows (next to the Verrazano Bridge), is one of the oldest military sites in the nation. This site has controlled the entrance to New York Harbor since the Washington administration.