1. When is the park open? The park grounds are open daily from sunrise to sunset except Thanksgiving Day, January 1 and December 25. Occasionally the park is closed because of a storm. To find out if the park is closed call the park hotline at (540) 654-5532.
* Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center is open daily from 9:00-5:00 with extended hours on weekends in the spring and early fall and daily during the summer season.
* Chancellorsville Visitor Center is open daily from 9:00 to 5:00 with extended hours on weekends in the spring and early fall and daily during the summer season.
* Chatham Manor is open daily from 9:00-4:30.
* Stonewall Jackson Shrine days of operation vary depending upon the season.
* Ellwood Manor is generally open on weekends and holidays from late spring to early fall.
* Salem Church is usually open on weekends and holidays from mid-June to mid-August from 3:00-5:00.
* Wilderness Battlefield does not have a visitor center or rest rooms. The exhibit shelter is usually manned by a historian on weekends from early spring to early fall.
* Spotsylvania Battlefield does not have a visitor center. There are two port-a-potties near the exhibit shelter. The exhibit shelter is usually manned by a historian on weekends from early spring to early fall.
* Check the Plan Your Visit section of the website (on the left side of your screen) or call the visitor center at (540) 373-6122 for information on when the buildings will be open on the day of your visit.
2. When are there special programs? Check the special programs and calendar sections of this website.
3. Are there walking or driving tours of the battlefields? There are self guided walking trails as well as driving tours of all four battlefields. There are also CD tours to rent or purchase which are longer and more detailed tours. Depending on the day of the week and time of year, there are also guided walking tours led by historians. Call the park at (540) 373-6122 to see if guided tours are led on the day of your visit.
4. Are dogs allowed in the park? Dogs on leashes are allowed in the park, with the exception of the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. Only guide dogs are allowed in the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. Seeing eye dogs are allowed in the park.
5. Are there horse trails in the park? Areas where horses are allowed in the park are very limited. The park visitor centers has information on where these areas are located. Horses are not allowed on the hiking trails. If you have questions, contact the chief ranger at (540) 654-5535.
6. Is there picnicking in the park? Yes, each battlefield has a designated area where picnicking is allowed. Each area is small (only a couple of picnic tables) and it is a first come first served basis. Picnicking is only allowed at the picnic tables.
7. Is food available in the park? No. There is no shortage of restaurants in the Fredericksburg area. The outlying areas of the park such as the Stonewall Jackson Shrine, Wilderness Battlefield and Spotsylvania Battlefield have fewer places to eat.
8. How much time should I allow myself to see the park? The park has over 7,500 acres and four major battlefields. To see all of it we recommend at least two full days.