Bridge Repair Work
Beginning September 15, the main bridge into the fort will be closed for repairs. Visitors will be able to access the fort through the sally port entrance. An accessible ramp will be available upon request. Visit the Willett Center for assistance on-site.
Remembering the Sacrifices of Oriskany
Contact: Kelly Cardwell, 315-338-7730
Over many years, generations have remembered the sacrifice of the men and women who fought on the Oriskany Battlefield by erecting monuments and waysides. Join us on Saturday, August 6th, for a special program led by a park ranger from Fort Stanwix National Monument to learn more about how the site has been memorialized over the years and how these memorials have influenced the viewpoints and memories of one of the bloodiest battles of the American Revolution. The program, "Remembering the Sacrifices of Oriskany," will be offered at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Both programs will start at the battlefield parking lot at Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site. We recommend participants wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather.
Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site is currently open 7 days a week from dawn to dusk; the site's parking lot is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Admission to the site is free. Through a partnership between the National Park Service and the New York State Office Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, National Park Service rangers provide daily visitor services as well as special programs at the battlefield. For more information about upcoming events, please call Fort Stanwix National Monument at (315)338-7730. Visit the Fort Stanwix National Monument's web page at www.nps.gov/fost.
Did You Know?
The modern New York State flag was modeled after the regimental flag of the Third New York. This flag was given to these troops as a gift by Col. Peter Gansevoort for their service during the Siege of Fort Stanwix in 1777. Photo courtesy of Sons of the Revolution, Virginia Society More...