• large wooden spikes jut out from a large wooden angular wall lit by sunlight. verdant grass surrounds it.

    Fort Stanwix

    National Monument New York

Colonel Gansevoort Arrives

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: May 3, 2004
Contact: Val Morgan, 315-336-2090

Over 600 students and teachers from the Rome City School District, New York, participated in the May 03, 2004 "Colonel Gansevoort Arrives" special education event organized by Park Ranger Valerie Morgan. Students in grades Kindergarten to 5th explored the fort while completing projects and solving problems in language arts, social studies, science, and mathematics. Half of the city's K-5 students participated in this event that commemorated the arrival of Colonel Peter Gansevoort in 1777, just prior to the fort's siege by the British and their allies. The program was so successful it will become an annual event!

Did You Know?

tents with white walls surround grass and wooden walls twice as tall

Fort Stanwix has two names. Named for Gen. John Stanwix, this was the fort's name under the British. When rebuilt by the Americans, it was then named for Gen. Phillip Schuyler. However, there were several other Fort Schuylers in New York at that time, so the name never stuck due to the confusion.