Bridge Repair Work
Beginning September 15, the main bridge into the fort will be closed for repairs. Visitors will be able to access the fort through the sally port entrance. An accessible ramp will be available upon request. Visit the Willett Center for assistance on-site.
The Capitol Theater and Fort Stanwix Partner to Present "1935 at the Movies"
Contact: Mike Kusch, 315 271-5796
Rome, NY: In partnership with the Capitol Theater and Eastern National, Fort Stanwix National Monument is sponsoring a special Fort Stanwix 75th Anniversary event at the theater. The event is "1935 at the Movies." The feature film will be "The Farmer Takes a Wife." Based on the play of the same title and the novel "Rome Haul" by Walter D. Edmonds, the story is set in 19th century Rome, New York, and depicts life on the Erie Canal. The stars of the Victor Fleming-directed Fox film are Janet Gaynor, Henry Fonda (re-creating his Broadway role in his film debut), and Charles Bickford. Three short 1935 films will also be shown including a newsreel, a cartoon, and a comedy featuring Laurel and Hardy. The event will begin at 3 p.m. on Sunday, August 22nd.
The original 1935 admission prices will be in effect: 35 cents orchestra and loge seating, 25 cents balcony seating, and 15 cents for children.
"We're very excited about the chance to do an authentic re-creation of a 1935 movie show and to give people the feel for what it was like to go to the movies at the Capitol 75 years ago," stated Art Pierce, Executive Director of the Capitol Theater. "And, we're particularly glad to be able to partner with Fort Stanwix National Monument on this special event."
Debbie Conway, Superintendent of Fort Stanwix National Monument, stated, "Fort Stanwix National Monument was established on August 21, 1935, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the enabling legislation." She continued, "To commemorate our 75th anniversary, we wanted to reflect back on the period when the park was created and felt that one fun way to do that was to look at what was happening in the community at that time. These films are representative of what was on the big screen at the time of the park's creation."
The park's cooperating association Eastern National, which manages the bookstore at the Willett Center located at the intersection of James and Dominick Streets, is providing grant funding to cover the costs associated with the movie rentals, copyrights and shipping. As a cooperating association, proceeds from bookstore sales are returned to the park to support interpretation and education programs. The staffs at both Fort Stanwix National Monument and the Capitol Theater are appreciative of the support from Eastern National.
Fort Stanwix National Monument is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission to the park is free. Activities are ongoing unless noted. For more information about upcoming events please call the park at (315) 338-7730. Please visit the park’s web page at www.nps.gov/fost for additional information about the park and up-to-date news about park events.
- NPS -
Did You Know?
In the 18th century it was possible to travel to the interior of North America almost entirely by water. Fort Stanwix was built to protect the largest break in this chain, the Oneida Carrying Place. This was a 1-6 mile long portage area situated between the Mohawk River and Wood Creek in New York. More...