Rancho los Ojuelos
Rancho los Ojuelos, Webb County, Texas
This national historic district consists of 13 stone houses (several in ruins) constructed from hewn sandstone blocks, chinked and plastered, ranging from rectangular flat roofed Colonial style buildings to hip roofed two room structures. It was temporarily settled in 1810 by Eugenio Gutierrez who received a grant from the Spanish Crown for two sitios (ca. 8,856 acres). He constructed the ranch headquarters near a large natural spring (ojuelos). This site is a good example of the type of multipurpose hacienda (socio-economic-agricultural-religious establishment) that evolved close to Dolores in South Texas, adjacent to the Río Grande.
Time period: Post-1750s
A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE