Towpath Trail Closure
Towpath Trail is closed from Mustill Store to Memorial Parkway for riverbank reinforcement. Detours posted. Closure will last 1 - 4 weeks into August. More »
Valley Bridle Trail south of SR 303, across from golf course, is collapsed by river. Hard closure. Plateau Trail Bridge, north of Valley Picnic Area is closed. No detours. Plateau & Oak Hill trails are open. More »
Riverview Road Repaving
Riverview Rd is being repaved from the Cuyahoga-Summit Cty line to Peninsula through Mon, 9/15. Road is open but there are still delays due to construction. Allow extra time. More »
The George Stanford House is located on a rural section of Stanford Road, just north of the small village of Boston. It enjoys a commanding view of the Cuyahoga River and the adjacent Ohio & Erie Canal. James Stanford settled the property in 1806, and served in several township offices. He was a member of the original surveyors of Boston Township before deciding to move his family to the area. James' son George Stanford built the large farmhouse that still stands today.
On the Stanford farm during the late 19th century, George and his son, George C. Stanford, worked in close harmony, expanding their operation to include not only the cultivation of crops, but also dairying and lumbering. Both George and his son were also very active in local politics, serving many positions in public office, including Justice of the Peace. After his father's death in 1883, George C. Stanford inherited the farm and continued to raise wheat, cattle, and sheep.
Click to read a first-hand account of life on the Stanford Farm in the 1920s.
In Their Own Words
Click the topic to hear stories about Cuyahoga Valley life.
Life on the Stanford Farm (1 minute 4 seconds)
In recent years, the Stanford House joined the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. After several renovations, the Stanford House has since served as lodging for visitors. Click to plan your stay at the Stanford House.
Did You Know?
The Ohio & Erie Canal, which runs through Cuyahoga Valley National Park, was a 308-mile waterway connecting Lake Erie to the Ohio River. This transportation route, which influenced local and national prosperity, was dug entirely by hand by mostly German and Irish immigrants.