Auto Tour Route - Kansas
Below the map are driving directions to follow the Auto Tour Route for the California National Historic Trail west through Kansas, from Missouri to Nebraska.
From Kansas City, Missouri:
1. Take Interstate 435 south from Kansas City to State Route 10.
2. Turn west onto State Route 10.
3. Take State Route 10 west to U.S. Route 59.
4. Turn north onto State Route 59.
5. Take State Route 59 north to Interstate 70.
6. Turn west onto Interstate 70.
7. Take Interstate 70 to U.S. Route 40.
8. Turn west onto U.S. Route 40.
9. Take Interstate 40 west to Interstate 70.
10. Turn west onto Interstate 70.
11. Take Interstate 70 west to Exit 346 Willard Dover Rd.
12. Turn north onto Willard Dover Rd.
13. Take Willard Dover Rd. north to U.S. Route 24.
14. Turn west onto U.S. Route 24.
15. Take U.S. Route 24 west to State Route 99.
16. Turn north onto State Route 99.
17.Take State Route 99 north to State Route 9.
18. Turn west onto State Route 9.
19. Take State Route 9 west to U.S. Route 77.
20.Turn north onto State Route 77.
21. Take State Route 77 to U.S. Route 36.
22. Turn west onto U.S. Route 36.
23.Take U.S. Route 36 west to State Route 148.
24. Turn north onto State Route 148 into Nebraska.
From St. Joseph, Missouri:
1. Take U.S. Route 36 west to State Route 148.
2. Turn north onto State Route 148.
Total original route miles in Kansas (including alternate routes): 290
Did You Know?
Emigrants often camped for days at Alcove Spring in Northeastern Kansas as they waited for Spring floods to subside. The location was very peacful and had good water and grass for livestock. The ill-fated Donner & Reed wagon train had their first casualty here in 1846 when Sarah Keys died. More...