Temporary Closure for ORV Access to Cape Point
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-475-9034
Superintendent Barclay Trimble announced today the temporary closure for off-road vehicle (ORV) access of the area located two tenths of a mile south of Ramp 44 to Cape Point.Effective Monday, September 23, 2013, this section of beach is temporarily closed to ORVs for a sea turtle nest protection area.The area remains open for pedestrian access. The nest reached day 55 of the "hatch window" and the area will remain closed to ORVs until the nest hatches.
The sea turtle nest was laid naturally on July 30, 2013 high on the beach near the toe of the dune.Efforts were made to find a route around the backside of the nest but the configuration of the duneline prohibits this action.Normally, depending on the condition of the nest, the protection measures are installed between day 50 – 55 to protect hatchlings that may emerge at any time.This nest was given the greatest amount of time before the closure was installed as specified under the terms of the Off-Road Vehicle Management Plan.
The Seashore has experienced a record number of sea turtle nests in the 2013 season with a total of 252 nests.So far, the warm sands and sunny conditions have been conducive to timely nest hatches this season.The nest protection area resulting in this closure will be monitoring daily for a natural hatch.Once the hatch occurs, the nest will be excavated after several days to allow for any remaining hatchlings to emerge.The contents of the nests will be inventoried and the protection area removed which will reopen ORV access at that time.
For more information on beach access, check Google Earth maps at:
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/off-road-vehicle-use.htmor call 252-473-2111.
Did You Know?
The U.S. Weather Bureau Station on Hatteras Island was built in 1901 and was one of 11 stations built around the country. It is one of only three remaining stations nationwide, and the only one in the nation restored to its 1901 condition. The station was reopened in 2007 to house a visitor center.