NPS Celebrates National Public Lands Day
Contact: Outer Banks Group, (252) 473-2111
Superintendent Mike Murray announced today that Saturday, September 30, 2006 the National Park Service Outer Banks Group will be celebrating National Public Lands Day. Entrance fees at Wright Brothers National Memorial and user fees at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse are waived for that day.
National Public Lands Day is designated for all of our nation's people--individuals, families, and organizations--to pull together and help improve America's largest natural resource--its public lands. The focus of the day is the improvement and preservation of natural habitats such as beaches, forests, prairies, wetlands, dunes, rivers and urban streams. Nationwide, citizens come together to participate in work projects that range from planting trees and collecting seeds to building bridges and cutting trails.
During the 2005 National Public Lands Day, over 90,000 volunteers built trails and bridges, planted trees and plants, removed trash and invasive plants, as well as numerous other projects at 800 different worksites located in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the District of Columbia. When volunteer time and in-kind and financial contributions were tallied, National Public Lands Day contributed $12 million in improvements to Federal, state and local lands.
Fall operation hours for Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, open daily. Please call (252) 441-7430 for program schedule and more information. (No entrance fee on September 30, 2006.)
Fall operation hours for Cape Hatteras Lighthouse are 9:00 am to 4:30 pm daily through October 9, 2006. A ticket is required for climbing the lighthouse (no ticket fee on September 30, 2006). Tickets are available on a first come/first served basis and can only be obtained in-person at the site on the day of the climb. There are no advance public ticket sales. Please call 252-995-4474 for more information.
Did You Know?
The U.S. Weather Bureau Station on Hatteras Island was built in 1901 and was one of 11 stations built around the country. It is one of only three remaining stations nationwide, and the only one in the nation restored to its 1901 condition. The station was reopened in 2007 to house a visitor center.