Visitor Center Rennovations
Park is having major heating/cooling system work done. The Visitor Center is closed (we don't know how long-mid July?) but restrooms, movie auditorium, historic ruins area, and picnic area remain open (no fees or pass sales during rennovation)
Special Program on Edible Desert Plants
Contact: Karl Cordova, 520 723-3172
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—January 7, 2014
Karl Cordova, Superintendent (520) 723-3172
Casa Grande Ruins Offers Special Exhibitor
Native Desert Plants – January 18 & 19, 2014
COOLIDGE, AZ– Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is featuring author Jean Groen in the visitor center atrium area on Saturday, January 18 and Sunday, January 19. Jean has been known to say "I don't believe that there is a plant growing (that is safe to eat) that can't be made into some kind of delicious jelly." She will be featuring tastes of her various jellies as well as other treats made from desert plants. There will be a selection of jelly, honey, and other processed foods available for purchase as well. "Jean Groen has been a very well received demonstrator and speaker at Casa Grande for many years" stated Superintendent Karl Cordova. "We are pleased that she is returning to the park to educate the staff and public about nature's bounty in the Sonoran Desert."
There is no additional fee for the special presentation, but visitors must enter the visitor center and pay the usual park entrance fees.
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument protects the multi-story 'Great House' and the ruins of other ancient structures built by the people of the Sonoran Desert over 800 years ago. Established as the nation's first archeological reserve in 1892, the Ruins sparked the beginning of the archeological preservation movement in America. The Monument is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Directions and additional information are available on the Monument's website, http://www.nps.gov/cagr, or you may call (520) 723-3172.
-- NPS --
Did You Know?
The Casa Grande Ruins were extensively excavated and studied by Dr. Jesse Fewkes in 1906. Previously, visitors removed artifacts and took pieces of the walls and roofs as souvenirs.