• The Great House at Casa Grande Ruins stands out for miles

    Casa Grande Ruins

    National Monument Arizona

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Visitor Center Rennovations

    Park is having major electrical and heating/cooling system work done. The Visitor Center will be closed until late June but restrooms, movie auditorium, historic ruins area, and picnic area will remain open (no fees or pass sales during rennovation).

Laws & Policies

Firearm Information

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state and local laws, to legally possess firearms in Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local and federal firearms laws before entering the park. As a starting point, please visit the Arizona State Legislature website http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp. Type “firearms” into the “search phrase” box, then click search.

A notable exception to this rule is the carrying of weapons in federal facilities. Federal law prohibits firearms in certain facilities in the park. Those places are marked with signs at public entrances. This prohibition includes those possessing valid concealed weapon permits. In other words, all persons, regardless of the state permit that has been issued to them, are prohibited from carrying a firearm in a federal facility. In Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, these facilities include the visitor center and all administrative buildings. Carrying a firearm is also prohibited in the main ruins visitation area because this area may only be accessed through the visitor center. Firearms can be carried legally in the parking lot and adjacent landscaped area in front of the visitor center, the picnic area, and on the main entrance road.

Visitors are advised that use of a firearm remains prohibited within the park.

For any questions regarding firearms regulations, please contact Chief Ranger Carol West at (520) 723-3172.

Did You Know?

1852 sketch of Casa Grande by John Bartlett.

Father Kino, in 1694, was the first European to call this structure Casa Grande. It is a Spanish word that means 'great house.' The Casa Grande is a 4-story, 11-room structure which was built about 700 years ago.