Places Beyond the Village
The North Carolina Monument was erected in 1905 by veterans from that state on the site where the last volley fired by the Army of Northern Virginia took place. The monument recognizes and eulogizes the North Carolina troops throughout the war, proclaiming them "First at Bethel, farthest to the front at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, and last at Appomattox."
The Confederate Cemetery was established in 1866 by the Ladies Memorial Association of Appomattox. Of the 18 Southern soldiers buried in the Confederate Cemetery just west of the village, near the old Richmond-Lynchburg State Road, only eight are identified. A single Federal grave is located alongside those of one-time foes. The unidentified soldier was found in a wooded lot after the Federal dead had bee removed in 1866 and 1867.
Located on the grounds of the park is the home of Charles H. Sweeney, cousin of Joel Walker Sweeney, developer and popularizer of the modern five-string banjo. Originally built in the 1830's, the restored cabin is a fine example of a vernacular "hall" type cabin common in rural Virginia at the time of the Civil War.
The Sweeney Prizery is believed to be one of the oldest structures in the Appomattox area. It was built between 1790 and 1799. It has been covered with tin to protect the original wooden walls. The process of packing tobacco leaf into hogsheads was called prizing and barns used to store the hogsheads were called prizeries.
Did You Know?
Major James Field, of A.P. Hill's staff, surrendered at Appomattox. Field served in the Mexican War, helped to write the 1st Constitution for the State of California and ran for Vice President of the United States in 1892. (Field's Confederate frock coat is at Appomattox Court House NHP)