Memorial Permit

A permit is required for the scattering of ashes. There is no charge for a memorial permit. Click here to download an application.



The park's inspiring vistas and natural settings are ideally suited for small, informal weddings. All weddings require an approved wedding permit. For more information, see Weddings.


Commercial Filming/Photography


A commercial filming/photography permit is required for any filming or photography involving models, sets, or props. For more information about photography and filming permits, including restrictions and application procedures, download the Commercial Film/Photography brochure.

Download an Application Form
Short Form
Long Form


Special Use Permits

Special Events

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect park resources and the public interest. Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • non-competitive sporting events
  • public spectator attractions
  • festivals
  • concerts
  • ceremonies
  • cultural programs

First Amendment Activities
Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Some examples of special events that require permits are:

  • distribution and/or sale of printed matter
  • religious services
  • public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.
  • collecting signature for petitions

Miscellaneous Activities
Other activities may require permits if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of highly visited area, or possible impact on park resources.

Special Use Permit Application
To apply for a special use permit for these activities, download a General Use Application, fill it out, and send it to:

Acadia National Park
Attn: Special Use Permit Coordinator
PO Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Special instructions are listed on the application form; please read carefully. A completed application must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $50 in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to National Park Service. If it is determined that your event does not need a Special Use Permit your application fee will be returned.


Group Camping


Click here for information about group camping regulations.
Click here to view the group camping reservation form. Fill out the form and fax it to (207) 288-8792 or mail to:

Acadia National Park
P.O. Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Attn: Group Reservations


Group Climbing

Reservations are required for organized commercial and noncommercial climbing groups wanting to climb at Otter Cliffs. They are not needed for groups of friends climbing together. The reservation season will run from Saturday of Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day. Organized groups of five persons or less do not need a reservation for Otter Cliffs.

The group size limit of 12 applies to all climbing groups using any park climbing areas at any time of the year. The purpose of this size limit is to reduce the effects of large groups on park resources and the climbing experience. We request your cooperation.

Click here to download a fillable copy of a permit and for more information.

Additional Information

Some additional activities require permits as well, but these permits are administered separately from special use permits. For more information about obtaining authorization for these activities, please follow the links provided.

Did You Know?